One Late Travel Post
Prologue: I found this attachment in my inbox which I sent to myself many years ago -- maybe it was intended for future posting but it took me years to discover it until now. The event might have been out-dated but the experience and the memories are still fresh ...
South Lake Tahoe Highlights (October 7-11, 2008)
One of the places that I've been to in America and fell in love with is South Lake Tahoe. Ever since I could remember, I've always wanted to live near a lake or a bay. I like the beautiful mountainous scenery that surrounds it, as well as, the calmness of the lake. It has an ambiance that refreshes me whether it's morning, noontime, afternoon or at nighttime – it's picturesque!
For somebody who loves nature, the South Lake Tahoe is a place to be in. It was papa who was on the drive wheel while mama and I busied ourselves taking pictures of whatever breath-taking scenery we came across.
During our stay, we experienced the four seasons of the year. It was summer-like when we arrived; spring time and fall on our second day but wintry on our third and fourth days of our stay. If it was my first travel abroad I would really be blessed to have all the seasons in one place for such a short time! But I am thankful as well because I was able to appreciate the place all the more. I even had a chance to see a live bear hunting salmon for his dinner for three consecutive days (check out the video I posted in this blog).
Lake Tahoe reminds me of our very own Taal Lake in Tagaytay. The weather is like spring (Dec-Feb) and from a distance, we can view the famous Taal volcano. What is sad though is that, unlike in the Lake Tahoe where there are still National Parks to view the lake, in Taal Lake we could not view the lake for free unless we own a lot atop the hills, pay and park or eat in a restaurant that's overlooking the lake.
Nevertheless, a few years ago when I was still based in the Philippines, I was fortunate to not only view the Taal volcano up close but I was able to be at the said place with an uncle, my dad's jetsetter brother who's also single. It took us a van, a boat ride and a horse-ride to get there. Of all the rides, horse-back riding was the most challenging because of the steep and dusty road way. Once there. the volcanic lake was actually sulphuric – it was like seeing something majestic although deadly to touch. It was summer at that time but we were glad that there was still wind blowing gently. In fact, my uncle took a power nap under a nipa-made shade with a bench. The ride going back home was the same but in reverse – horse, boat and van. Even though it was tiresome, our adventurous trip was still worth it. When I went back home this September for a short visit, I had a chance to pass by the Taal Lake on our way to a nearby place in Batangas with my friends. It was still a beautiful site from a distance.
As for Lake Tahoe, I can see myself going back there again someday. In the meantime, I will keep on dreaming of having my own place somewhere along the lake while writing a manuscript about my travels with an introduction that sounds something like this:
By the south lake tahoe, I sat down and wrote my journey of life ...
Comments