One Jake and Me

Jake is a 100+lb black Labrador who lives in Denver, Colorado. He is adorable and friendly despite his huge size when he stands up with his two legs. He never barks but I guess it's also a disadvantage. For one, he can be snatched away from his owner, anytime and anywhere, without knowing it! But I was told that Jake barks with a low deep tone voice. Well, I guess he, too, is startled to hear himself!

I would usually take Jake for a walk in the mornings and afternoons together with his owner. One time, however, I was confident enough to take Jake for his morning walk alone. With his leash in one hand, I went out with a reserved plastic bag in my other hand to pick up his poops if ever he does it.

Everything went well except for an incident when he chased his first rabbit for the day. Yes, Jake feels excited whenever he sees rabbits and madly chases them!

I remember he saw the rabbit in one corner and his ears suddenly became like an antenna. I was holding his lease, when all of a sudden, I lost control. Before I knew it, I heard a thud! Guess what, I found myself face down. Did he drag me? I can’t remember anymore. But Jake stopped from chasing. He waited for me to stand up. He has this worried-look on his face. Boy! He might have been surprised, too, to see someone dive on the ground for the first time!

Good thing, I was alone and no one’s there. Well, that’s what I thought.

When I got up and brushed away the dirt on my clothes, I heard a car's engine a few meters away. Gulp, I think someone did see me plunge in the ground! I tried to squint my eyes to check out the person in the car but before I could find it out, the car sped away.

The rest of the morning, Jake chased around 7-8 rabbits in different spots. Why of all days do they have to be around on that particular day? I don’t know!

I learned that I shouldn’t be deceived of Jake’s gentleness. I forgot that he weighs almost like me and stronger than me, too. For instance, he can transform himself to be a tow-away vehicle whenever rabbits are around!

After that unexpected and humiliating, diving incident, I never walked Jake by myself anymore ...

Comments

vangie balita said…
That was an embarrassing experience but i am sure you fell face down with poise.

your story reminds me of my Bruce, my golden retreiver pup who died so young at 3 months old because of corona virus. A playful, cheerful and hyperactive pup. He could have been a hunk dog if alive today.

Next time when walking a dog, practice to be a fast runner, too, so you can catch up with him or better yet, join him in chasing rabbits, it'd be fun.

Popular posts from this blog

One Mini-Series Film

One April month

New York City