One uncle’s Mexico City day

Here's the last day of my Uncle's stay in Mexico:

Well, today is my last day in Mexico City. I'm writing this in Benito Juarez International Airport Terminal while awaiting my flight back to Los Angeles.

Everything was going on fine and dandy for me since I arrived a week ago today. So what could go wrong? Where is that infamous Mexican bureaucracy and perceived corruption that one hears of overseas?

Well, I had them all this morning. Minor perhaps but nonetheless interesting.

1. Hotel arranged for my taxi transport, and was told it will cost 130 Mexican dollars. Fine. That's what I paid for in arrival. So when we arrived at the terminal this morning, the taxi driver asked for 200 Mexican dollars. What? I insisted for 130, so I gave him 150, tip included. No objection from him, but he did try. I got his name,Alejandro,pretending I´ll report him to the hotel.

2. I bought coffee at 7-eleven, costing 15 Mexican dollars. Cashier received the money without punching it in cash register. Small amount, I should have insisted on receipt, and end of story. But I didn’t. I guess I contributed to her dishonesty.

3. Now here´s the big one: when I checked in I was asked for immigration card. I know my passport was already stamped on arrival, but where´s that card floating around. It’s nowhere to be found. Besides, nobody told me to keep it with passport.
So I was told to go to immigration office, one floor below; apply for visa and given a form to have police sign it by going to their office 30 meters away; fill out two documents sort of affidavit of loss; have my passport photocopied; return to immigration office; fill out another two documents; have my passport photocopied; and finally, I was asked to pay 525 Mexican dollars or US 40 dollars. No problem, but please make it fast. I want to get out of here.

Lesson here is in a foreign country, be at least two hours early on departure which I did and be prepared for anything. ANYTHING. And have extra cash in case something unexpected is required.

Other than these observations, I had a great time in this city, and would certainly go back to check out the other attractions. It’s a great way to practice my Spanish besides, other than in Madrid of course.

Bottom line of my experience is that we are all the same all over the world. It reemphasized this belief.

The more we deal with other cultures, the more we appreciate our own. I truly miss Manila, Philippines. I miss the organized, controlled chaos there. It´s a fun country and the people are just friendly and likable.

Adios Mexico City. Hasta la vista.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sarap magkwento ng Tito mo. Thanks for sharing it with me.
Till next...

Popular posts from this blog

One Mini-Series Film

One April month

New York City