One blizzard day
I received an early morning text message today. It’s from the weather alert station -- winter storm advisory until 2pm.
I looked out. It was still dark. I checked the time, its 4:05am. The street was silent. No cars passing by. In fact, from the lamppost reflection, I couldn’t distinguish which part was the main road and which was our sidewalk. Everything was leveled with snow.
I went back to sleep.
I was awakened by a ring tone. My dad was checking on me since I’m home alone. In turn, I called my sister and her kids. They’re all okay.
I went back to sleep again.
A shrill screeching sound woke me up. I looked out at the window and saw a vehicle stranded by the road. The front wheel was moving but the rear wheels aren’t. The snow was still falling. A woman got off from the car and checked her tires then she went back inside her car. The engine started again but the car wasn’t moving. By the window I was praying for the woman to give her strength and wisdom. Some cars started to pass by the other side, trying to avoid the stranded vehicle.
One van, however, slowed down and stayed at the rear end of the first car. Slowly, it was like seeing a movie trailer when the van tried to push up the car. The car started to move a few inches away then a thud was heard. The car was stuck and it’s useless to push it back. The Good Samaritan and the woman got off from their vehicles and talked. Then the Good Samaritan drove away with his van. The woman was left behind with her car. Again, I was with the woman in prayers as I sat by the window. A few minutes later, a pick-up truck came and towed the car. Praise God, what a happy ending.
I went back to sleep again.
I awoke for the nth time and read for awhile.
An hour later, I found myself outside taking photos and videos of another blizzard episode. Unexpedtedly, I saw birds on trees taking shelter and hearing them chirp in melodious resonance made me feel at peace and relaxed.
I went ahead shoveling our driveway but never got the chance to finish it. Almost halfway, I had a terrible headache. I wasn’t sure if I was sleep deprived over the weekend or was it due to the cold weather outside. I decided to stop.
Then I went back to sleep again.
A few hours later, there was another call. My nephews were at the other end of the videophone line. They were just checking on me.
After their call, I checked on my emails. But I couldn’t concentrate. I still had that throbbing headache. I decided to eat. After my late lunch, I resumed the unfinished work in our driveway.
I took some time shoveling. No rush at all. Just bending and stretching my tensed muscles.
As I huffed and puffed, I thought of the birds I saw earlier. In my three years of stay here, it was my first time to see them and hear them chirp after a winter storm. Then I realized that I, too, can have that countenance in my heart despite feeling cold and alone.
Finally, from our driveway, I made it through our sidewalks. Photo-finish in a flash.
I tried to finish working on my papers but feeling drowsy again.
Guess what I’ll be doing next...
I’ll go back to sleep again.
I looked out. It was still dark. I checked the time, its 4:05am. The street was silent. No cars passing by. In fact, from the lamppost reflection, I couldn’t distinguish which part was the main road and which was our sidewalk. Everything was leveled with snow.
I went back to sleep.
I was awakened by a ring tone. My dad was checking on me since I’m home alone. In turn, I called my sister and her kids. They’re all okay.
I went back to sleep again.
A shrill screeching sound woke me up. I looked out at the window and saw a vehicle stranded by the road. The front wheel was moving but the rear wheels aren’t. The snow was still falling. A woman got off from the car and checked her tires then she went back inside her car. The engine started again but the car wasn’t moving. By the window I was praying for the woman to give her strength and wisdom. Some cars started to pass by the other side, trying to avoid the stranded vehicle.
One van, however, slowed down and stayed at the rear end of the first car. Slowly, it was like seeing a movie trailer when the van tried to push up the car. The car started to move a few inches away then a thud was heard. The car was stuck and it’s useless to push it back. The Good Samaritan and the woman got off from their vehicles and talked. Then the Good Samaritan drove away with his van. The woman was left behind with her car. Again, I was with the woman in prayers as I sat by the window. A few minutes later, a pick-up truck came and towed the car. Praise God, what a happy ending.
I went back to sleep again.
I awoke for the nth time and read for awhile.
An hour later, I found myself outside taking photos and videos of another blizzard episode. Unexpedtedly, I saw birds on trees taking shelter and hearing them chirp in melodious resonance made me feel at peace and relaxed.
I went ahead shoveling our driveway but never got the chance to finish it. Almost halfway, I had a terrible headache. I wasn’t sure if I was sleep deprived over the weekend or was it due to the cold weather outside. I decided to stop.
Then I went back to sleep again.
A few hours later, there was another call. My nephews were at the other end of the videophone line. They were just checking on me.
After their call, I checked on my emails. But I couldn’t concentrate. I still had that throbbing headache. I decided to eat. After my late lunch, I resumed the unfinished work in our driveway.
I took some time shoveling. No rush at all. Just bending and stretching my tensed muscles.
As I huffed and puffed, I thought of the birds I saw earlier. In my three years of stay here, it was my first time to see them and hear them chirp after a winter storm. Then I realized that I, too, can have that countenance in my heart despite feeling cold and alone.
Finally, from our driveway, I made it through our sidewalks. Photo-finish in a flash.
I tried to finish working on my papers but feeling drowsy again.
Guess what I’ll be doing next...
I’ll go back to sleep again.
Comments