One strange dream: Of mice, doorsteps, dungeons and people
Two weeks ago, I had episodes of bizarre dreams.
In one night, I saw a mouse running under my comforter. It was scary! I can still remember how my heart palpated when I awoke.
In another night, I was entering rooms and saw different sizes, shapes, colors of closed and open, antique doors. I got confused.
The next night, I was climbing steps, up and down then I was in a dungeon. I saw a particular shrinking gray elephant and a motionless dark bison along the way. I was frightened. What are they doing there?
And yes, there were people, too. People of diverse nationalities, personalities and languages.
In the middle of the night, I would be awake, perplexed. What were all those dreams all about?
Never did I realize that those symbols will have something to do with my short notice trip to Ontario, Canada. The truth is, I wasn’t even thinking of having a trip this month nor was I thinking of a certain place in Canada. But out of the blue, I got a call from Canada and two days later, I found myself at the airport boarding a plane.
I forgot all about those series of dreams until two days before I left, when I was in a Canadian museum, I suddenly sensed that I’ve been there even if it was my first time to visit the place.
Then I recalled my recent dreams. Goosebumps.
The different rooms, doors and long steps were the ones I saw at the museums, Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) and Casa Loma. There were antique furniture, old books, war weapons, old paintings and more history.
The elephant was the word used in one poster to describe Pellat’s rise and fall as a successful businessman, the owner of Casa Loma.
On the other hand, the bison was seen in almost all of the scenery paintings in the early history of Canada at ROM.
The dungeon was the tunnel I have to go through to see the horse stable, garage and pottery garden of Casa Loma.
As to the people, the airports were full of people from all walks of life. And there’s Mississauga and Toronto with a community of diverse nationalities especially when I had to commute from one subway to another, ride a bus and even a train.
And what about the mouse which I saw in my dream? Believe it or not, my 10 year old niece handed me a book to read, The Tale of Desperaux, a story about a mouse hero. And one of the settings was also in a dungeon! But mind you, I love the book even though it’s designed for pre-teens.
Were all of these dreams and its counterpart realities coincidences, premonitions or just a product of my mind? I don’t know.
But what I know is that I had a great time with my cousins, friends and their families. It was a time to reconnect with them after three to seven years of not being able to see them in person. It was actually a surprise visit, a pleasant one, thus there were squeals and hugs in our first meetings.
The weather was good, a little windy yet very sunny -- beautiful days to be in Ontario, I was told.
I got a chance to learn about Canadian history, its people and culture through the museums I visited. My birthstone, Diamonds, was also on display at ROM which added to my excitement.
They also had a counterpart of USA's Space Needle Tower in Seattle, Washington and Las Vegas' Stratosphere in Nevada. In Canada, it is known as CN tower. An added attraction at CN tower was a movie and motion theater ride featuring Himalamazon.
My voracious appetite was tested at the Colossus of Rhodes and at the Korean Grill House Restaurants. Bon appetite, indeed.
I also went to their crowded Chinatown market at Spadina and had a blast with fishballs. But for me, Pinoy fishball is still the best-tasting, never mind if they call it street food.
My visit wouldn’t be complete if I hadn’t been to Lake Ontario. I had a great time at Port Credit and Humber River. As always, my desire of owning a place by the lake crossed my mind again when I saw how beautiful the scenery was.
A place of my own by the water. Hmm, I guess that is what I have to see in my next dream and who knows, it will come true …
But tomorrow, reality will set in.
Once again, I have to face my pile of paperworks ...
---
Epilogue (03/18/09): I just found out that the paper I'm trying to finish is based in Ontario, Canada. Another coincidence? You judge.
In one night, I saw a mouse running under my comforter. It was scary! I can still remember how my heart palpated when I awoke.
In another night, I was entering rooms and saw different sizes, shapes, colors of closed and open, antique doors. I got confused.
The next night, I was climbing steps, up and down then I was in a dungeon. I saw a particular shrinking gray elephant and a motionless dark bison along the way. I was frightened. What are they doing there?
And yes, there were people, too. People of diverse nationalities, personalities and languages.
In the middle of the night, I would be awake, perplexed. What were all those dreams all about?
Never did I realize that those symbols will have something to do with my short notice trip to Ontario, Canada. The truth is, I wasn’t even thinking of having a trip this month nor was I thinking of a certain place in Canada. But out of the blue, I got a call from Canada and two days later, I found myself at the airport boarding a plane.
I forgot all about those series of dreams until two days before I left, when I was in a Canadian museum, I suddenly sensed that I’ve been there even if it was my first time to visit the place.
Then I recalled my recent dreams. Goosebumps.
The different rooms, doors and long steps were the ones I saw at the museums, Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) and Casa Loma. There were antique furniture, old books, war weapons, old paintings and more history.
The elephant was the word used in one poster to describe Pellat’s rise and fall as a successful businessman, the owner of Casa Loma.
On the other hand, the bison was seen in almost all of the scenery paintings in the early history of Canada at ROM.
The dungeon was the tunnel I have to go through to see the horse stable, garage and pottery garden of Casa Loma.
As to the people, the airports were full of people from all walks of life. And there’s Mississauga and Toronto with a community of diverse nationalities especially when I had to commute from one subway to another, ride a bus and even a train.
And what about the mouse which I saw in my dream? Believe it or not, my 10 year old niece handed me a book to read, The Tale of Desperaux, a story about a mouse hero. And one of the settings was also in a dungeon! But mind you, I love the book even though it’s designed for pre-teens.
Were all of these dreams and its counterpart realities coincidences, premonitions or just a product of my mind? I don’t know.
But what I know is that I had a great time with my cousins, friends and their families. It was a time to reconnect with them after three to seven years of not being able to see them in person. It was actually a surprise visit, a pleasant one, thus there were squeals and hugs in our first meetings.
The weather was good, a little windy yet very sunny -- beautiful days to be in Ontario, I was told.
I got a chance to learn about Canadian history, its people and culture through the museums I visited. My birthstone, Diamonds, was also on display at ROM which added to my excitement.
They also had a counterpart of USA's Space Needle Tower in Seattle, Washington and Las Vegas' Stratosphere in Nevada. In Canada, it is known as CN tower. An added attraction at CN tower was a movie and motion theater ride featuring Himalamazon.
My voracious appetite was tested at the Colossus of Rhodes and at the Korean Grill House Restaurants. Bon appetite, indeed.
I also went to their crowded Chinatown market at Spadina and had a blast with fishballs. But for me, Pinoy fishball is still the best-tasting, never mind if they call it street food.
My visit wouldn’t be complete if I hadn’t been to Lake Ontario. I had a great time at Port Credit and Humber River. As always, my desire of owning a place by the lake crossed my mind again when I saw how beautiful the scenery was.
A place of my own by the water. Hmm, I guess that is what I have to see in my next dream and who knows, it will come true …
But tomorrow, reality will set in.
Once again, I have to face my pile of paperworks ...
---
Epilogue (03/18/09): I just found out that the paper I'm trying to finish is based in Ontario, Canada. Another coincidence? You judge.
Comments
I remember in college when I got interested with dreams. I even borrowed a book about dream interpretation. In our class in psychology, there is the manifest dream and the latent dreams. Correct me if I am wrong, the former is the dream itself, as how you remembered it, just like your dream, hazy, chaotic, fuzzy and confusing; while the latter or the latent dream is what lies beneath the manifest dream which is the meaning and that's the hardest to know. No one can really interpret dreams accurately because it is subjective. In dream interpretations, dream symbols may have a general or common meaning. But I believe, symbols, signs, dream situations, no matter how absurd and ridiculous they are, can be interpreted only through your own understanding of your present situation which may have been taken from desires, plans, fears, frustrations and regrets.
As for you, if it happens all the time that your dreams become a reality, then you should develop it. Just in case, you might help others with it. But, anyway, what a wonderful dream it was. Scary and odd at how you have seen it in your mind, but in reality it was pleasant and interesting. Dream more, my friend.