One fine day

Today the sun is up with almost 70 degrees Fahrenheit temperature. It’s a fine day to be out at the National Harbor. It was a little breezy but the sun was a welcome treat for a change.

Lunch was at the Potbelly's and while at the order counter, the sandwichmaker asked me,

“And what would you want to have for your sandwich, young lady?”

Young lady?! Did I hear it right? I looked around and saw only men except me on queue. And then he looked at me with his deep-set blue eyes and sparkling smile,

"Mayonnaise, onions, peppers?"

“Oh, with everything please.”

"Ok", then he went on making the sandwich.

Meanwhile, I looked at my reflection and saw myself in jeans with a red fitted, light knitted sweater, no make-up at all. I grinned as I was about to say to the young lad, Thanks for the compliment but my dear child, I could even pass as your mom! Then follow it up with a question, Do you have a single uncle who has the same set of eyes and smile as yours, instead?

But I didn’t dare do it, I’m not desperate yet hahaha.

Whether it was the vegetarian sandwich or the lad’s compliment, I felt full at lunch time thus a walk along the harbor was the only way to get rid of those extra heavy feeling.

Besides, it’s such a sunny clear day, one of the days I’ve been looking forward not to miss outdoor.

As I strolled, I looked up at the bright blue sky, wonderful! At a distance, I saw a flock of birds flying and gliding freely, I can’t wait for spring to be here again; to see green trees and flowers bloom almost everywhere as I enjoy the sunny weather and calm river.

While wishing for winter to be over soon, a leisurely walk along the river, with its breeze gently touching my face and brushing my hair away, was refreshing. I stopped, closed my eyes for a moment and took a deep breath, what a nice way to get in touch with the Potomac River again!

With that short stint at the harbor, it energized the rest of my one fine day.

Comments

Anonymous said…
That's the good thing about being an Asian. Our looks defy our age. Asians look younger than their real age. Why, perhaps because of close knit family ties and deep religiosity. Our skin color, brown, or kayumangging kaligatan/morena slows the ageing process, less wrinkles, crow's feet. Oh well, that's just my scientific observation why Asians look younger than the Caucasians.

Popular posts from this blog

One Mini-Series Film

One April month

New York City