One blast day

It’s another chaperone day with another nephew. This time it's in grade 5.

In one day, I was in three states: the state where I live, another state where my nephew’s school was and in Pennsylvania where the ski resort was located for their field trip.

A mountain resort? Yes I went snow tubing with the kids! And we had a blast.

Again, I was assigned to be in charge of boys – four more plus my nephew. I’m glad that the kids under me were manageable though. From time to time I had to look out where the kids were but at the same time, I got a chance to enjoy the ride – by myself -- as well. Yipee!

In retrospect, the winter sport reminded me of one of the most awaited carnival ride we had way back in the Philippines. There used to be an open-air Big Bang Carnival in Alabang and they had this Giant Slide ride. The only way to go up the slide is through a one-way 4-story stair. And the only way to go down was by sliding through a smooth metal slide. We used a sack to cover our entire body and off we go down, sliding -- at our own risk.

At that time, I was younger then and it was fun but now, after the snow tubing experience, I find it scarier than the snow though. Looking back, anyone could bump his head or hit his body on the slide with not much protective gear on. But thank God there was no major accidents that I heard of.

In snow tubing, however, the only way to go up is through a lift. And the only way to go down is also sliding but through a snow-filled smooth hill. At first, I rode sitting down on the vinyl tube but in the later rides, I was flat on my stomach with legs up in the air and what a joy ride!

Snow tubing's great. And somehow, it gave me the feeling of being liberated even for just a few seconds. The speed oriented ride was unspeakable. No wonder it’s enjoyed by every one of all ages.

On the way back to school, I was hoping for a quieter bus ride; but the kids were all the more excited to share their tube adventures. Thus, the bus ride turned out to be a chatty box ride home. Looking at the young kids, I wonder where they got all their energy. Oh, the benefit of being young.

I thought I would never be able to withstand the noise but guess what, I found myself dozing off – it only means one thing, I'm tired.

Nevertheless, I find it a respite from all the mind-boggling paperwork I have to face as I head back home again this evening.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Read all you blogs. Love your storytelling. Keep on, Lola Basyang.Kidding aside, if you're always in the company of young people,chances are you'll stay young at heart.

Enjoy the kids, they're unpretentious and spontaneous.If these kids learn from us, we should also learn from them.

Once in your lifetime, take a chance to be daring and bold.Go for the extreme sports

Popular posts from this blog

One Mini-Series Film

One April month

New York City