One amusing day
Today, I read an amusing article in a local newspaper.
What caught my eye first is the photo of a vehicle. The vehicle looks very familiar anywhere else in the Philippines but to see it here in the US particularly somewhere near the National Mall, or is it the Union station, is quite a surprise.
I’m talking about the pedicab yes that's how they call it, too. They have finally invaded Uncle Sam’s district!
Such sight is nostalgic. I remember one amusing ride I had in Quezon City, Philippines.
Another observation I noticed on the photo is that the passengers’ seat of the DC pedicab is at the back, looking like a modern chariot minus the horse. On the other hand, the passengers’ seat of the Philippines’ pedicab is at the right side of the driver thus the term sidecar.
In the Philippines, however, pedicabs are only allowed in back roads, not on main roads because they can add to the long queue of traffic hours. And knowing how slow pedicab drivers are, or is it bikers?, compared to their King of the road counterparts, it is safer to stay away from the main road especially in Manila.
The paper says that with the present economic crisis these days, Americans are also learning to find new ways of venturing into any part-time jobs and the pedicab is the latest addition. It also states that the part-time driver earns from $19-23 an hour. Not bad for an extra earning plus ending up with a good physique.
Although it’s something innovative here, I’m certain that DC pedicabs are only for a season. Who would want to have one on a snowy day anyway?
Unlike in the Philippines, pedicabs are part of the year-round transportation. It is also available anytime thus it will always be part of Pinoy lifestyle.
I haven’t seen the real thing yet at DC but that is something to look for in my next visit near the Mall.
And it’s a good thing that the roads along the different state buildings and to the Union Station are paved and straight just in case I happen to be the passenger …
What caught my eye first is the photo of a vehicle. The vehicle looks very familiar anywhere else in the Philippines but to see it here in the US particularly somewhere near the National Mall, or is it the Union station, is quite a surprise.
I’m talking about the pedicab yes that's how they call it, too. They have finally invaded Uncle Sam’s district!
Such sight is nostalgic. I remember one amusing ride I had in Quezon City, Philippines.
I was on my way to meet a friend at McDo in Quezon Boulevard. Coming from our school, it’s at least 8-10 minutes by walk. With books on my hand and to protect myself from the scorching heat of the sun, I decided to ride a pedicab instead.Now going back to DC’s pedicab in the newspaper, the one on the photo has a different version. Unlike in the Philippines that had a cover to protect the passengers from the scourging heat of the sun or from a rainy day, the one in DC has no cover at all, only seats. Maybe one of these days, Americans will also learn how to use umbrellas while riding an open-air pedicab or bike taxi as how the local paper described it.
The road going up was a bit hilly and I noticed that the driver was having difficulty pedaling. From inside the passenger seat, I peeped at the gray haired driver and asked,
“Manong, ok lang ho ba kayo?”
“Ah o-oo, oo ok lanng a-koh.” The pedicab driver said struggling to say some words while exerting his legs.
Despite his assurance, I sensed that he’s not ok so I decided to get off, “Naku teka Manong sandali bababa na lang po ako.”
“Hu-ag kang lumayo. Hintayin mo ako at bubuwe-lo lang ako. (Hingal!)”
The poor driver was almost out of breath. I felt sorry for him so I got off then walked a few houses away until the road is straight. I waited for him to get his bearing before riding back to his pedicab. I wanted to laugh so hard because I think Manong finds the passenger seat with me inside heavy but was just too shy to tell me directly for fear of losing a passenger. But I refrained from giggling because I didn't want Manong to feel humiliated as well.
I'm thankful though that I arrived in time to my destination but with ambivalent feelings. I gave Manong a tip for his extra efforts. In return, he showed off his priceless toothless smile.
Another observation I noticed on the photo is that the passengers’ seat of the DC pedicab is at the back, looking like a modern chariot minus the horse. On the other hand, the passengers’ seat of the Philippines’ pedicab is at the right side of the driver thus the term sidecar.
In the Philippines, however, pedicabs are only allowed in back roads, not on main roads because they can add to the long queue of traffic hours. And knowing how slow pedicab drivers are, or is it bikers?, compared to their King of the road counterparts, it is safer to stay away from the main road especially in Manila.
The paper says that with the present economic crisis these days, Americans are also learning to find new ways of venturing into any part-time jobs and the pedicab is the latest addition. It also states that the part-time driver earns from $19-23 an hour. Not bad for an extra earning plus ending up with a good physique.
Although it’s something innovative here, I’m certain that DC pedicabs are only for a season. Who would want to have one on a snowy day anyway?
Unlike in the Philippines, pedicabs are part of the year-round transportation. It is also available anytime thus it will always be part of Pinoy lifestyle.
I haven’t seen the real thing yet at DC but that is something to look for in my next visit near the Mall.
And it’s a good thing that the roads along the different state buildings and to the Union Station are paved and straight just in case I happen to be the passenger …
Comments
So, it's the Americans now who are learning how to cope with the hard times, huh.You should start transporting tricycles in your country, that will be a brisk business, am pretty sure. Now, that there's global depression, Americans can learn a thing or two on how to survive in a crisis, start the pedicab mania ... If they intend to use this as a means of public transportation don't do it the Filipino way by hogging the road to the detriment of the motorists.