One Timeline (my high school years)

A few days from now, my high school alma mater (an exclusive school for girls in Manila) will be having a homecoming for the Jubilee and Golden Year celebrants. Unfortunately, I’m one of the ladies whose a thousand miles away from home and who won't be around to witness the event.

Even though I couldn't make it this Saturday January 24th, I'd like to refresh my mind some of the events that took place 25 years ago …

Freshman Year
• The year of Dallas and Knots Landing (TV soap operas na talaga namang inaabangan ko)
• Chinese Shoes (with socks almost out of sight – lagot kay Sr. Magdeleine!)
• Anime TV shows: Voltez V, Mazinger Z, Daimos, Candy candy (I was an avid cartoon fan!)
• Americans hostaged in Iran (my first time to hear about hostages)
• John Lennon assassinated (Oops I never thought it was possible)
• Prince Charles and Princess Diana’s wedding (I wanted to be in her shoes not because of Prince Charles but just to be a Princess haha)
• School clubs (Arts, Girls Scout and MYCA – made way for leadership training; I was a loyalist until 4th year!)
• Initiation (Freshmen and Seniors activity; I was asked to dance ballet and one of my last dance on stage)

Sophomore Year
• Soiree/ Acquaintance party with the Letran boys (one of them mistakenly referred us as Polynesians instead of Paulinians) and La Salle Greenhills
• Pac-Man (the video game not Manny Pacquiao)
• MTV (24/7 music television station, puede pala yun?)
• Dynasty (another TV soap opera that was made popular)
• Pink and lavender fashion (yaiks! but we looked pretty then)

Junior Year
• Ninoy Aquino’s assassination (my first social relevance awareness)
• Rubric’s cube (up to now I still couldn’t complete the whole cube!)
• Michael Jackson’s Thriller (I went horrific!)
• E.T. and Annie the Movie ( I watched these movies back-to-back in one day at the movie theater and ended up with a headache)
• Anorexia Nervosa (learned about it for the first time due to Karen Carpenter)
• Junior-Senior Prom (missed this one!)
• COCC (I was never an aspiring cadet officer)

Senior Year
• The President Plastic Attache (comes in different colors – I had a blue one)
• Bagets the movie with Raymond Lauchengco’s Farewell to you my friend (our graduation song, too)
• Gary Valenciano’s rise to stardom (since then I’ve been his avid fan proof is I even watched his Washington DC concert two years ago)
• Play and Watch game (comes in with a game of Octopus, Pop-eye; one of the first early prototype of gameboy/nintendo DS)
• The Cosby Show (TV sitcom which I looked forward to watch at night)
• Stonewashed jeans are introduced (which was quite expensive at that time – fashion eh)
• Indira Gandhi assassinated (another social awakening)
• High heels every Monday (Ouch but no choice because it was compulsory)
• Greg shoes for Citizen’s Army Training every Friday (keep those shoes and belts shiny!)
• Year book pictorials at Chat Peypoch Studio (I looked like a 12-year-old girl fresh from grade school rather than a 16-year-old teen!)
• Graduation day (wow now we're celebrating our Jubilee year!)

The list can go on and on and on ...

To my fellow Paulinians, thank you for the memories and here's to another 25 years! I hope we'll all still be healthy and looking great by that time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Mini-Series Film

One April month

New York City